What is the commissioning process?
We have outlined the design and commissioning process in more detail under the ordering section of our site. If you would like to find out more, or have any further questions, please contact us or give us a call on 01243 696606.
How much does our furniture cost?
The cost of our furniture can vary and very much depends on the type of product, the size, the materials used, and the number of hours required to make it. Please visit our pricing & budgeting section for further details. Many of our Made & Ready and Signature Collection items in the furniture section show guide prices. If you have any further questions, or would like to discuss your budget with us, please contact us.
How long does it take to make a piece of furniture?
Again, this can vary and is largely dependent on the type and complexity of project. We work on projects than can be manufactured in just 2 weeks right the way up to 16+ weeks. We will always be able to give you a more detailed timetable and schedule once we know a few of the unknowns. Please see our information on our commissioning process for further guidance.
How long does it take to design a piece of furniture?
This is often under estimated, and it is crucial to allow sufficient time for this essential stage especially if it is bespoke. Often, it comes down to aligning both parties’ diaries rather than the actual design time. We typically allow 2-6 weeks for the design stage, but it can sometimes be more on complex projects.
Would you be making the piece of furniture?
Yes, we make all our furniture here in our workshop in Bosham.
Can I come and visit your workshop and see my piece being made?
Yes of course – we positively encourage it at any stage of your project. Please contact us to make an appointment.
Will you visit my home to see the room the furniture is to design for?
Yes, we can often arrange the initial meeting to take place in your home. However, in cases where this is not possible or viable, we will always ask for photographs of the room where your furniture will be housed.
How large is your business, and how many people do you employ?
We are a small, friendly and reliable team of made up of cabinet makers (including Ed) and a studio administrator who all work diligently to bring together our creative and challenging furniture. You can find out more here.
How long have you been running your business?
After a couple of years’ experience in the furniture industry, Edward started his own furniture business in 2009. His first studio was a bench space within a co-operative workshop in Brighton, a creative and exciting environment in which to start and grow the business, exchanging knowledge and experience other cabinet makers and designers.
As commissions began to grow in stature and complexity it was evident that Edward needed expand his workspace and facilities. As a result, he moved to his current premises in 2014, in the picturesque sailing village of Bosham, near Chichester.
What other commissions can you show me as an example of your style and cost?
You will see many examples of our work in our furniture galleries. Including our Made & Ready furniture, our Signature Collection, Sussex Collection, Blueprint Collection and Bespoke Furniture projects. Please contact us to answer any specific questions you may have.
Is my commission a one-off?
Not necessarily. If you would like it to be an Exclusive One-Off we are more than happy to work on those terms but please be aware the design and development time must be recuperated on a single piece, so it does come at a premium. Typically speaking most bespoke designs will be a limited edition of between 1 and 15. The exact volume will be agreed before production commences.
Do you deliver?
Yes, we can arrange delivery of your furniture, whether through our own transportation or a reputable and trustworthy courier service.
Do you provide an aftercare service?
Yes, we do. See more about our aftercare and warranties.
How do I look after my furniture?
Again, we will always give you the best advice about looking after your furniture. Please see our aftercare section for further information. You can also purchase our aftercare kit for oiled furniture.
How much input do I get in the design?
Some of our clients have more input than others in the design process, depending on whether you have strong ideas or whether these are looser and more general. We work in close collaboration with our clients, and always listen carefully to your requirements.
Where are you based and how do I get there?
We are based in Bosham near Chichester in West Sussex. You will find full directions and map on our contact page. If you would like to visit us, please call for an appointment on 01243 696606.
Why should I commission a piece of furniture?
There are many reasons:
- At the top of the list is the fact that you will be rewarded with a piece of furniture that is truly tailored to your requirements. It can often be the case that one bespoke piece will visually pull an entire eclectic room together. Having tailored it personally to you, it will also function exactly as you wish and be extremely rewarding to use. We are biased, but we believe having the right pieces of furniture makes a huge difference to the way you live.
- It is an alternative route to spending a great deal of time searching the shops and internet for the perfect piece, which often you will have to make compromises on.
- Buying ‘off-the-shelf’ can sometimes be a soulless experience. We believe that personally commissioning a piece of furniture gives substance to its story. Of course, the quality of the piece will make it heirloom material, but that notion is far more attractive when the furniture has a story to go with it. We see the process as a collaboration between us and you, you will be integral to its creation.
- You get to know the designer, meet the makers, understand how it was made and know how to maintain it in the future.
- Finally, you are also helping to progress a skill that without our patrons would no longer exist. We are lucky to enjoy what we do, and we hope that comes through in how hard we work for our clients.