We offer a flexible bespoke furniture service where we can tailor each item to your specific requirements. We can work on a completely new design, or you can use one of our existing limited-edition designs as your inspiration and starting point.
As a friendly and experienced team, we make the process of commissioning a piece of bespoke furniture as enjoyable and rewarding as possible. We understand that all our clients are different and therefore we tailor our approach to suit you.
Many of our bespoke projects, depending on the design style, go on to form part of our limited-edition collection as the first in the edition. We also offer an exclusive service should you wish your bespoke design to be a unique one-off.
Bespoke furniture products:
We can design and make a wide range of bespoke products. Please bear in mind that this list is not exhaustive, and we are happy to discuss any project with you.
Design styles for your inspiration:
We can design and make (almost) anything. However, to provide you with further inspiration you might want to explore some of Edward’s signature design styles.
Edward Johnson’s maker’s mark:
Every piece of Edward Johnson’s furniture is finished with his silver hallmarked maker’s mark.
What is bespoke furniture?
Bespoke furniture or custom-made furniture can be tailored, designed, and made to your specific requirements and design-style including material and timber preferences, dimensions, and person aesthetics. Below, we have pulled together several frequently asked questions that we hope help to give a thorough overview and clarifies any any queries you may have. However, please get in touch if you would like to find out something that we do not cover below, or if you would like to discuss a specific project with us.
Why commission a piece of bespoke furniture?
There are many reasons why you might commission a piece of bespoke furniture, here are just a few:
- At the top of the list is the fact that you will be rewarded with a piece of furniture that is truly tailored to your requirements. It can often be the case that one bespoke piece will visually pull an entire eclectic room together. Having tailored it personally to you, it will also function exactly as you wish and be extremely rewarding to use. We are biased, but we believe having the right pieces of furniture makes a huge difference to the way you live.
- Commissioning bespoke furniture provides an alternative to spending a great deal of time searching the shops and internet for the perfect piece, which often you will have to make compromises on, or may not find! Commissioning a piece of furniture means that it can be completely tailored to your specific requirements.
- Buying ‘off-the-shelf’ can sometimes be a soulless experience. We believe that personally commissioning a piece of furniture gives substance to its story. Of course, the quality of the piece will make it heirloom material, but that notion is far more attractive when the furniture has a story to go with it. We see the process as a collaboration between us and you, you will be integral to its creation.
- You get to know the designer, meet the makers, understand how it was made and know how to maintain it in the future.
- Finally, you are also helping to progress a skill that without our patrons would no longer exist. We are lucky to enjoy what we do, and we hope that comes through in how hard we work for our clients.
How long does it take to design a piece of bespoke furniture?
This is often under-estimated, and it is crucial to allow sufficient time for this essential stage. Often, it comes down to aligning both parties’ diaries rather than the actual design time. We typically allow 2-6 weeks for the design stage, but it can sometimes be longer for more complex projects.
How long does it take to make a piece of bespoke furniture?
Again, this can vary and is largely dependent on the type and complexity of project. We work on projects than can be manufactured in just 2 weeks right the way up to 16+ weeks. We will always be able to give you a more detailed timetable and schedule once we know a few of the unknowns.
How much does bespoke furniture cost?
The cost of our furniture can vary depending on the type of product, the size, the materials used, the complexity and the number of hours required to make it.
Throughout the bespoke design development, we can ‘cost-manage’ the design accordingly by either increasing or decreasing the specification. Your budget must however be sensible and realistic and aligned with your design aspirations, it is integral to what can be achieved. For further information please refer to Budgeting and Pricing.
Why does bespoke furniture cost so much?
The cost of our bespoke furniture can be broken down into three parts:
- Cost of materials
- Cost of cabinet making hours
- Delivery and installation (if applicable)
All the furniture we design, and produce is made in our workshop in Bosham. With the materials usually making up 20-30% of the total cost, the remaining budget covers cabinet making hours, delivery, and installation where appropriate. We make our furniture to the highest of standards, and due to the complex nature and level of accuracy required, each piece takes time to achieve.
Is my bespoke furniture commission a one-off?
Not necessarily. If you would like it to be an Exclusive One-Off, we are more than happy to work on those terms but please be aware the design and development time must be recuperated on a single piece, so it does come at a premium. Typically speaking most Bespoke Furniture designs will become a limited-edition of between 1 and 15 depending on the design style of the piece. The exact volume will be agreed before production commences.
If you would like to find out more about commissioning a bespoke piece of furniture, please give us a call on 01243 696606 or send us a message through our enquiry form. Our friendly team are always happy to answer any of your queries or discuss any of your ideas, requirements and projects.